Employers can play a key role in shaping the health of a community. Youth make more informed decisions about career choices and post-secondary training when there is strong, solid, support from peers, parents, teachers, counselors, and employers.
Help Determine a Student Career Path
Become a Business Supporter
Employers can support k-12 students by speaking to classes, attending special events, joining a business advisory committee, donating resources, and offering work experience placements
What Can Employers Offer?
- Offer short term (10-30 hour) and long term (up to 90 hour) volunteer work placements
- Donate building materials, safety gear, work boots and/or training certifications
- Speak to students about employment forecasts, essential employee qualities/skills.
How Will Employers Benefit?
- Meet the student on an unpaid work experience program before committing to a paid or apprenticeship placement
- Access youth who have recently completed pre-employment training or certificate training (i.e. Food Safe Level 1, World Host, WHMIS, Fall Protection, etc.)
- Become eligible for Tax Benefits (for students that are employed, especially Secondary School Apprenticeship students)
Support a Student
Support a student by sponsoring a work experience student, mentoring an apprenticeship student or donating to support a student in training.
- Work Experience: students can gain work experience in both paid and unpaid work opportunities. WCB is covered by the Ministry of Education for volunteer placements.
- Apprenticeship: students could be eligible for a $1000 ITA Secondary School Apprenticeship Scholarship if they have a registered ITA employer sponsor.
- Support a Student: there are students who need a little help to pay for steel-toed boots, day care, food or books
Support a Program
Support a program by donating materials, being a guest speaker or participating in one of our events.
- Materials: plumbing, carpentry, electrical, tools and general building materials
- Guest speaker: speak to a class or Head Start program